Data Protection Policy
In order to operate the service, maintain communication, ensure safety and allow you access to the website, we will often require details which are protected under Data Protection Regulation. Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller's possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the regulations as set down in law.
We, Bedford Radio, are the data controller for this information. This means we decide how your personal data is processed and for what purposes. Bedford Radio complies with its obligations under the law by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
Examples of what we might use your data for include: operation of the website, including all of the features required for you to interact with the radio station; maintaining a record of contact details so we can contact your or your next of kin in an emergency; or ensuring your compliance with training and/or required assessments; accessing CCTV for the means of maintaining safety. This is not an exhaustive list; however, we will not use your data for purposes other than managing your interactions with Bedford Radio. We will not submit your data to others unless we have your explicit permission or we are required by law.
We will only process your data under one or more of the following lawful conditions:
- the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes;
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject;
- processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person;
- processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the controller or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject which require protection of personal data, in particular where the data subject is a child.
For sensitive personal data, we will process it under one or more of the following conditions:
- the data subject has given explicit consent to the processing of those personal data for one or more specified purposes
- processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person where the data subject is physically or legally incapable of giving consent;
- processing is carried out in the course of our legitimate activities with appropriate safeguards by a not-for-profit body with a philosophical and educational aim and on condition that the processing relates solely to the members or to former members of the body or to persons who have regular contact with it in connection with its purposes and that the personal data are not disclosed outside that body without the consent of the data subjects;
- processing relates to personal data which are manifestly made public by the data subject;
- processing is necessary for the purposes of preventive or occupational medicine, for the assessment of the working capacity of the employee, medical diagnosis, the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential, and will be shared only with other departments within the station when required. We will only share your data with third parties outside of Bedford Radio with your consent.
We will keep your personal data for no longer than reasonably necessary. The length of time that this data may be retained for is dependent on the reason for our maintenance of that data. We will aim for the below:
- Volunteer data will be removed from our systems immediately once you confirm with us that you wish to cease volunteering with Bedford Radio.
- Assessment data will be removed from our systems after a period of one year following the end of your course, training or involvement with one of our programmes.
- Feedback information, provided about our programmes and training will be kept indefinitely, but in an anonymised format such that you cannot be identified from it.
- CCTV data will be maintained for seven days from recording. Saved CCTV data will be kept for no longer than 3 months, unless we are required to keep the data by law.
Unless subject to an exemption under the law, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which the we hold about you;
- The right to request that the we correct any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for us to retain such data;
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time, however, this may mean that you are no longer able to volunteer with the station
- The right to request that the data controller provide the data subject with his/her personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller (known as the right to data portability)
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this volunteer agreement, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.